La Jolla (California) in Photos

Everything started with a melancholic statement.

“We have not been to La Jolla in a long time,” said my husband.

“It is true,” I replied.

“Why we do not go tomorrow. We can wake up late and arrive around 10:00,” he said next.

It was a proposition hard to resist.  I had to give in.

So, the next day we departed to La Jolla around 8:30 a.m. Everything went smooth and we were there before 11:00 a.m.

It was one of those ridiculous California winter days where the temperatures were in the high 70s.  It was the perfect day for a coastal stroll.

About La Jolla

La Jolla (the jewel in Spanish), a community in northern San Diego, is characterized by an uneven, rough coast full of caves, rock formations and multicolored shades of the ocean.  A walk around Coast Boulevard put you in direct contact with soft sand, tide pools, and emerald colored coves.

Not much can deter you from marveling at how the waves have carved this area of the California coast.

La Jolla in Photos

Taking a look at the photos I took the last time I was in La Jolla, I discovered my previous visit was more than two and a half years ago.   Time surely flies!

That last visit was a cloudy and cold one. This time things were different.  The sun was shining as bright as you can imagine. The waves were concentrated in giving their own unique show.  Swells were between 12 and 15 feet.

The entire area was covered by the ocean spray.  But, there is something that cannot be denied. The coast was beautiful that day.  This area never stops to surprise me.

Today, I present you La Jolla in one of the best lights I have witness it.

Children’s Pool

This protected cove is a favorite sunbathing spot for sea lions.  You can get close by using a walkway (however, remember to respect wildlife).

The day I visited, the waves were rough!

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla Cove

While walking along Coastal Boulevard, a commotion down at La Jolla Cove caught my attention.  Most of the people taking a dip in the chilly waters were looking at the same direction.  Some guys were walking towards a creature making quickly pirouettes close to the waves lapping against the cliffs.

“Ugh, ugh, ugh,” is all that I heard.

I took a look at the water using my camera zoom and discovered who were responsible for the upheaval and the loud noises

Sea lions!

A group of about four took La Jolla Cove without caring about the dozens of human beings taking a dip in their ‘hood.  What is most; they seemed not afraid of being in close contact with people. I felt like they were putting a show and enjoying getting the attention of adults and kids.

At closer inspection, I saw the sea lions popping next to kayakers and swimmers.  They used the rocky base of the cliffs to congregate and make their peculiar noises.  I mean people pay hundreds of dollars to swim and be close to these creatures (like in the Galapagos).

In La Jolla, you can watch and even get in the water, with these fun animals for free (or for cheap if you are kayaking).

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

Walking north along Coast Boulevard, there is a spot where you can spy the sea lions almost at street level.  Warning: you can observe them if you can resist the hideous smell for a few minutes. People tend to cover their noses when walking around.

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

I started to wonder how they get so high on the cliffs. My reasoning: they can get up high when the tide is high.  My husband differed.

“Are you kidding me?” he said with a grave tone.  “They just climb the cliff.”

We kept discussing the point until, to my disbelief, we saw a big specimen climbing the cliff without any reservation.  Let me tell you, this sea lion was quite agile and quick. I have never thought a three hundred pounds ball of fat (males can weigh up to 600 pounds) could be so “athletic.”  This particular sea lion was even fighting with pelicans in order to get cleared the spot where he wanted to take a nap.La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

Goldfish Point and La Jolla Cove

We continued walking since I could hear the “ugh, ugh, ugh” song amplified by an echo.  I knew there were sea lions within an enclosed place somewhere.

At one point, I had in front of me one of the most famous caves in La Jolla (some called it an arch).  Using my camera zoom again, I was able to see how the cave was full of sea lions. Their sounds can get really loud in this area.

I got over Goldfish Point (or over the big cave) to take a better look at the other caves on the coast. There is a tunnel that takes you down to one of the caves but we were constrained by parking requirements.  The caves can also be explored by kayak.

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

Coastal Walk Trail

After Goldfish Point, I took the Coastal Walk Trail.  The views from here blew my mind.  The walk is flat and easy. I recommend walking even a bit for mega views of the coast.

I was happy to end the day surrounded by all things spectacular; spectacular views, spectacular coast, and furthermore spectacular sea lions. Those silly creatures make me smile every time I think about them.

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

La Jolla, San Diego, California

Details

Parking is free along Coastal Boulevard.

This article has discussed a small section of La Jolla. Other areas include Torrey Pines, La Jolla Shores, Bird Rock and the center of the village.

Visit ready to walk (comfortable shoes), sun protected (sunglasses, hat, sunblock, long sleeves) and beach ready.

More of Southern California

Los Angeles Ultimate Bucket List

Ultimate San Diego Bucket List

150+ Places to Go in Orange County

Places to Visit in Santa Barbara

Have you been to La Jolla? What is your favorite spot?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Coffee Culture: Drink as the Italians Do!

How To Get An International Driver’s License Permit

Haute Faroese Cuisine